artifacts

That's one big vault.

You might know the Cosmosphere has the most significant collection of U.S. and Russian space artifacts in the world.

But did you know that only 7% of the approximately 15,000 space artifacts in the Cosmosphere's collection are displayed in the Hall of Space Museum? The other 93% of the collection, the part you don't see, is housed in the Cosmosphere's vaults and warehouses.

 
Download PDF

Top 10 artifacts you’ll want to see

V-1 and V-2 weapons
This complete set of German weaponry is rare. The V-1 “Buzz Bomb” was filled with enough gas to get to its target, then would drop from the sky and explode upon landing. The V-2 was the world’s first ballistic missile.

Download PDF

Sputnik 1 and Sputnik 2
This Sputnik 1 was a flight-ready back up for the flown Sputnik 1, which launched the world's first satellite into space. This Sputnik 2 was used in testing before the launch of the flown Sputnik 2, which launched the world's first living being into space: a dog named Laika.

Redstone Nuclear WarheadRedstone Nuclear Warhead
These rockets were, at the time, the most accurate missiles ever built, as they included guidance systems. The warhead displayed in the museum no longer contains nuclear material or lead shielding.

109-foot Titan rocket
This stage of the Titan rocket was used to launch astronauts into space during America’s second manned space program, the Gemini program.

flownRussian Vostok spacecraft
This spacecraft flew in space during Russia's Vostok space program, though no one was on board.

Download PDF

Liberty Bell 7 Mercury spacecraft
This spacecraft was flown by astronaut Virgil "Gus" Grissom during America's first manned space program, the Mercury program. It was recovered from the bottom of the ocean in 1999 and restored by the Cosmosphere.

Download PDF

Gemini X spacecraft
This spacecraft was flown by a two-person crew during the Gemini program.

Download PDF

Apollo White Room
This white room is one of only two white rooms used during the Apollo program. When preparing for flight, Apollo astronauts entered their spacecraft through the white room, which was attached to the hatch of the command module.

Download PDF

Apollo 13 command module Odyssey
"Houston, we've had a problem." This spacecraft served as the vehicle that housed the Apollo 13 crew through take off and reentry into Earth's atmosphere.

Download PDF

Moon RockMoon rock
This Moon rock was collected from the lunar surface during Apollo 11, the first Apollo mission to reach the Moon.

 
 
Top 10 Artifacts
Top 10 Flown Artifacts
Top 10 Artifacts for Kids
  Flown

The artifact was actually flown in space
  Genuine

The artifact is real and was used, but never meant for space
Back-Up

The artifact was prepared and capable for use, but never used
  Engineering Model

The artifact was used for pre-flight testing, but a different craft was used for actual space flight

 

 

Home  |  Museum  |  Visitors  |  Education  |  Camps  |  News and Events  |  Get Involved  |  Restoration and Replication  |  Cargo Bay Store  |  Media  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy
Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center   1100 North Plum   |   Hutchinson, Kansas 67501-1418   |   800.397.0330